Recently I was contacted by Hipstr. - a publication from Nottingham, England. They wondered if I would be interested in doing a few illustrations for their article called "How to Get a Hipster." I got really excited, even though I told myself I wouldn't do another Hipster installment. Turns out I never wanted to write another one, but drawing another one was just awesome. So, here it is! A (much shorter than before) new Hipster installment for you!
How to Get a Hipster
- Be where the hipsters roam. Find a quiet space in a cafe, order a mocha latte and surf your Mac/ipad for hours on end. Think independent art galleries, movie houses and gigs. Do not forget your glasses – this is a vital accessory that WILL get you noticed.
- If you see a bearded beauty that takes your fancy don’t forget to openly display your love on anything indie, independent art, culturally-exposing literature, philosophy and superior cultural awareness. An intelligent sounding book in hand is always helpful.
- Wear the right uniform. Where possible, avoid buying anything labelled, especially from the stores run by the label itself (so not niche consumerism). Instead, look for independent retailers because supporting obscure and little known retailers is #totesindie. If in doubt always opt for the classic ‘skinny jean’ – the tighter the better. Alternatively, high waisted pants, leggings/ jeggings are acceptable.
- Don’t stress about how your hair looks, for once the messy look is so totally right. Rock the ‘just rolled out of bed look’ for instant attraction.
- Make sure to give off the vibe that you’re too cool and elite for a lot of things.
- Show an interest in eco, natural disasters and charities. A line that might come in handy; “I donated to Haiti…. before the disaster”.
- Hone your humour. A hipster is generally known for their sense of irony and sarcasm so if you want to give the impression that you’re so totally made for each other take this on board.
- Grow your own food and learn to cook. Hipsters are massive ‘foodies’ and love making gourmet meals to make sure you collect a few good cookbooks. Try to cut out meat if possible – most of these hipster types are either veggies or vegans.