28 June 2011

Going to Wales

S'mae, pawb! (Shoo-mye, Powb.)

That means "Hello, Everyone!" in Elvish Welsh.

Welsh is probably the most useful language on earth. Like, ten people speak it. It sort of sounds like this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFvG41htPkc&feature=related.

Haha! Just joking! (No I'm not.)

I started learning it three years ago, after hearing it spoken on a podcast. After researching my family history a bit, I discovered that we come from a teeny tiny little village called Trelawnyd on the Northern Coast of Wales.

No, sillyfaces, not those kind of Whales.



It's a beautiful little country on the west side of Great Britain, where there are nine sheep to every person...



....and the national animal is a mythical creature. 






Along with sheep, Wales also has loads of castles...






....as well as a village called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Yes, that word has four L's in a row. 













In my own opinion, the Welsh sing better than anyone on earth. Wales is the home to celebrities like Catherine Zeta Jones and Tom Jones. 


The last time I was there was in 2009, and tomorrow I'm getting on a plane and going back to Wales.

I'll be gone until the end of August. You can follow and read about my adventures and stuff here: http://hannahinwales.tumblr.com. Hopefully I'll be updating it often.

As for blogging, it'll still be happening just as often (hopefully way more, because i've been terrible at it lately), but they won't be very long posts. Also, my boyfriend (who is an awesome graphic designer and cartoonist) will be guest-posting sometime in the next two months! That's something to look forward to.

Unfortunately, How to Be a Hipster Chapter 3, won't be out until next week. I'll be finishing up drawing it on the airplane, and hopefully find a scanner and get it posted ASAP. Thank you so much for your patience!



Some Not-So-Useful Welsh Phrases 
For you to never use



Ble mae'r ty bach?

- Where's the toilet?

Cymru Am Byth!

- Wales Forever!
Nid oes digon o llafariaid yn eich iaith!- There aren't enough vowels in your language!

Gwell llaeth Cymru na chwrw Lloegr

- Better Welsh milk than English beer

Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod

- My hovercraft is full of eels
Dw i'n hoffi llaeth- I like milk
Dw i'n hoffi lladd- I like killing

Please don't get those last two mixed up.




Hwyl fawr! Welwch chi yn Awst! 

13 comments:

Casey said...

Your blog posts are some of the funniest I ever read. I honestly snort-laughed when I read "my hover craft is full of eels". Gotta be one of my favorite Monty Python sketches

Angie. said...

I spent about 5 minutes trying to read the name of that village. And then I had a little seizure and had to stop.

Camilla said...

Take me with you. Please?

brittna said...

gosh hannah i'm seriously so jealous of you!!!!! have so much fun

Rachel said...

Another useful phrase is "Mae rhaid i fi dorri'r cylchdro yn Mynydd Collfarn!" (I must throw the ring into Mount Doom!)

Carolina said...

HEy! When the fuck are you gonna do how to be a hipster chapter 3 D8?! I'm dying in here, you know!? ; ---;

Hannah said...

Haha! Carolina, working on it. :) I'm finding it difficult to finish it to a point I'm happy with. I don't know how much longer though. Sorry!

Carolina said...

I forgive you o___ó just because you are awesome and because you're still at your trip, or so I think. I'll be waiting for it for a good laugh! :33 Take care, and greetings from Mexico!

From Suns To Moons said...

I just discovered your blog and am currently howling with laughter while also ooh-ing and ah-ing over your illustrations.

Hannah said...

Thank you! :D

Bindi said...

Hi Hannah, I was about check your Wales tumblr but it's asking me a password.

Unknown said...

I love this country. You got the Cardiff 1 hour down the A470. And I live in a village that has 4 houses. We are like a family. To see more info please visit essayswriters.org/college.

Anonymous said...

This was an absolutely hilarious article to read. I'll definitely be using some of that language to confuse my friends!