27 May 2011

The Internet Owns Me

For work I code. Yes, I code. I don't like to think of myself as a code monkey, but I sort of am. Sort of.

It all started when I was 12 years old. Usually the summertime means that kids like to go outside and play in the sprinklers or do other such warm-weather activities. But I had a different agenda that summer. I got it into my head that I needed to create a website. It was more important, by far, than interactions with friends and the sunshine. So I began to teach myself HTML.

My website looked something like this.












After my interest in making crappy webpages burned out I didn't touch HTML or CSS for about 10 years. Then, about a year ago, I was hired by my University to create websites for their Science department. I soon came to realize that my childhood knowledge of HTML was still tucked away deep in the recesses of my brain, providing me the ability to create even better websites than before. Much, much better websites. (I no longer use word art!)

Although my knowledge of HTML still lingers, the same unadulterated excitement I had for it as a child has gone. It has been replaced with mushy brains and a love for surfing the internet and social networking.

Recently I've had an incredibly hard time concentrating, especially on coding. Today has gone something like this.





















The End.

18 comments:

Marlee said...

this is so funny. the codes can't talk! because they are codes. and let's be honest, you spend most of your work time photoshopping pictures of my face and the faces of people i love into twilight posters.

Hannah said...

That's...okay, yeah, that's true.

Unknown said...

Me in a nutshell?
Yes.

Hilarious illustrations?
Yes.

Love?
Yes.

Angie. said...

HAHAHAHA

Funny cat videos. I can has cheezburger. Buzzfeed. Cracked. And numerous blogs. I'm not even taking breaks from productive work.. I just waste countless hours in front of my laptop.

Captioning cat pictures.
I'm the worst.

Verification word was quetit. Tit? Come ON!

Morgan Rhys Gibbons said...

I LOVE YOUR POSTS

calvin said...

Yeah, that's brilliant. Happened to me, too. All of it.

Doanz said...

Bahahahahaha!

Johnny SL, esq. said...

the coding comment takes the cake

Kar said...

You taught me HTML when we were like 12/13ish. Holy crap I forgot all about that. My website even looked like yours. Hannah! I'm so glad you brought me back that memory.

kwistin said...

so...this is what happens when your supervisor leaves....

;)

but really, um, that website up there is ...*beautiful*. perhaps we could incorporate some of the neon green/purple/fuchsia color scheme into the LS homepage..... you know, make it POP.....

*cringe*

kwistin said...

and ps, i don't think we use nearly enough exclamation points these days.

brittna said...

thanks 2 coming 2 my siet!!

s.swan/spookyguts said...

purrrrrfect. yeah, i just did that.

Alex Anderson said...

haha this is SO true for me too!!!

Emily said...

omfg (excuse that, but really) this is me. i'm currently teaching myself how to code in ms access and visual basic at my job. my weirdo 12-year-old obsessision regarding html has not helped, so instead i look at zoo animals and the like all day.

i only wish i could find my ultimate jessica simpson and mandy moore fan pages.

MoniWise said...

Oh wow that is exactly how I feel when I am coding for my MIS homework. AND my HTML in the back of my mind from when I was 13 still lingers as a reminder that I am 3 years deep into a major that requires coding all day and night. (It will all be worth it in the end....)

Michelle said...

Like a wonderful disease, it spreads.

Unknown said...

I ADORE your blog !!!
It represents you (OF COURSE) and so many people (like me.. OF COURSE)

I also luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv cats.. Their the coolest animals ever.. Tell a cat to sit, he will look at you, turn his back on you and while doing it giving you a fuck-you-look...

Thank you for showing me that I'm not the only one for being awesome-weird!! (notice how I've had to put "awesome" in it, just to comfort myself...)